IfATE and ESFA Covid flexibilities Update
The Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (IfATE) and the ESFA have extended the dates Covid flexibilities are permitted to be used. The guidance is exactly the same as published in December, except that the dates have been extended as shown below in bold. If any customers have questions whether they are affected by this announcement, please contact your Service Delivery Coordinator directly.
IfATE has also updated the flexibilities framework that sets out how the ten flexibilities, introduced to support continued delivery of apprenticeship end-point assessments (EPA) during COVID-19 that can be applied after 31 March 2022.
Seven of the ten flexibilities will be retained as options to use beyond 1 April 2022. These are:
1. Observations taking place in simulated environments
2. Remote delivery of assessment (including invigilation)
3. Pauses being allowed between assessment methods during end-point assessment period
4. Assessments taking place outside of usual venues
5. Delivery of assessment methods in any order (when a specified order is in the assessment plan)
6. Exams/tests being online instead of on paper (where originally specified as paper based only)
7. Gateway sign off being done remotely (where originally specified as having to be face to face)
Three of the ten flexibilities will be switched off on 31 March 2022. These are:
8. Changes being made to who sits on the EPA interview/discussion panel (when someone in addition to the independent assessor is specified)
9. Allowing other suitable evidence of achievements being used in replacement of functional skills qualifications at gateway (other mandated qualifications are covered under temporary discretions)
10. Extension to the length of the end-point assessment period (where specified)